Biography: Andy Bannister
Dr. Andy Bannister is the Director and Lead Apologist for RZIM Canada. He speaks and teaches regularly throughout Canada, the USA, Europe and the wider world. From churches to universities, business forums to TV and radio, Andy regularly addresses audience of both Christians and those of all faiths and none on issues relating to faith, culture, politics and society.
With a background in youth ministry before studying theology and philosophy (focussing especially on Islam), Andy was previously based in Oxford, from where he worked with churches and organisations across the denominational spectrum.
Andy holds a PhD in Islamic studies, a topic on which he has taught extensively, especially since 9/11 and the huge interest that was sparked in the subject by the events of that day. He has spoken and taught at universities across Canada, the USA, the UK and further afield on both Islam and philosophy and is an Adjunct Research Fellow at the Centre for the Study of Islam and Other Faiths at Melbourne School of Theology.
Andy is the author of An Oral-Formulaic Study of the Qur’an, a groundbreaking and innovative study that reveals many of the ways the Qur’an was first composed. His latest book, The Atheist Who Didn’t Exist (or: The Terrible Consequences of Really Bad Arguments) is due to be published in summer 2014.
When not travelling, speaking, or writing, Andy is a keen hiker, mountain climber and photographer. He lives in Toronto and is married to Astrid and they have one daughter, Caitriona.
Videos Featuring Andy Bannister
Burning Questions TV documentary
100 Huntley Street TV Interview
The Christian Mind and Why It Matters
Isn’t it arrogant to say that only Christianity is true?
“How can I believe in a God of love
when there is evil in the world?”
“Isn’t it irrational to believe in God?”
Audio Messages by Andy Bannister
- Responding to the Challenge of the New Atheism (Part 1) | (Part 2)
A radio broadcast and podcast for RZIM’s Let My People Think program.
- Will the Real God Please Stand Up: The God of the Bible and the Allah of the Qur’an Compared
A message preached at Philpott Church, Hamilton.
- John Newton & William Wilberforce: A Vision for Society and the Individual
A lecture from a previous RZIM Summer School at Wheaton College.
- What is the Gospel? Grace in a World of Image and Performance
A sermon preached on Luke chapter 15 at People’s Church in Toronto.
Writing Samples by Andy Bannister
- 27 Places / 3 Questions
What do hope, longing and desire have to tell us about whether life has a purpose?
- The Circle of Rights
If God does not exist, human rights appear to be at best a useful fiction.
- Fire on the Mountain
A meditation on how natural beauty is a significant clue to the existence of God.
- The Scandinavian Skeptic (or: Why Atheism Is A Belief System)
Many skeptics claim their atheism is a non-belief and thus doesn’t require evidence. Is this true?
Andy Bannister on Twitter
Booking Andy Bannister
Andy speaks regularly in a wide variety of venues, from open forums to debates, universities to churches, on radio and TV. He is always delighted to talk about the possibility of any speaking invitation. Simply send us a message letting us know that you are interested in Andy speaking at your event, and one of our team will be in touch. Don’t worry if you’re just at the early stages of planning or considering an event — we’d be happy to chat to you to offer suggestions and advice for whether Andy would be available for your group, meeting or event.
Every year, Andy speaks on a wide range of topics, to audiences ranging from Christian to atheist, friendly to hostile. Here are some of the titles and topics that he’s addressed recently, to give you a flavour:
- Is there Hope for the Future?
- Is Christianity a Delusion?
- What’s So Special About Jesus? (Do All Religions Lead to God?)
- What Does the Good Society Look Like and How Do We Get There?
- Understanding and Reaching our Muslim Neighbours
- Has the Bible Been Corrupted? Responding to this Common Muslim Claim
- Are We Free and Does It Matter?
- Hasn’t Science Buried God?
- Why I Am Not An Atheist
- Responding to the Challenge of the New Atheism
- Ideas Have Consequences: Why Your Choice of Worldview Matters
- Why Truth Matters
- More Than Words Required: God and the Problem of Evil
- Will the Real God Please Stand Up (The God of the Bible and the Allah of the Qur’an Compared)
- Jesus in Islam: Point of Islam or Point of Difference?
- Is Anything Worth Believing?
- The Question of God: Where Does the Evidence Point?
If there’s a topic you’d like Andy to come and speak on, simply contact us and we’ll be happy to chat through whether it’s possible — or if you’d like to organise an event with us and have no idea what topic would work, we’d love to help you explore what theme or subject might work well for your audience.
Speaking Engagements Diary: Andy Bannister